Monday, August 07, 2006

What a Godly Person Looks Like

I have a twelve-year-old son who is (in part, anyway) named after Billy Graham. Now I don't know that I agree with every aspect of BG's theology and ministry, but he's always been a person of integrity. In the late-mid 20th century he could have had "it all." He was popular, telegenic, well connected and articulate. If he wanted to make lots and lots of money, and make himself the story, well, that would have been an easy thing to do. But he didn't. The gospel of Jesus, and not the celebrity of Billy, was his commitment. The cover story in the latest Newsweek makes it clear that Graham has as little time for the politics of the Christian right (or left, for that matter) as he did for his own celebrity. I can't think of a better of example of godliness, Christ-like humility, and lovingkindness than one finds in this profile:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14204483/

God bless you, Billy.

3 comments:

Susan said...

wow! What a wonderful, well-written tribute! In Newsweek!!!
I am grateful that you pointed out this article. I would have missed it otherwise.

Tom said...

Susan,

Thanks for writing. It really is a wonderful piece about an amazing human being.

May we all grow into old age with half of Billy's grace.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Amen. I agreed with your comment over at C.C.s place.